Wednesday, April 20, 2011

DHL location chosen, interview preparation, and taxes

On Monday I signed up for a DHL branch location so the Consulate knows which branch I want my visa and passport to be mailed to after the interview.

If you want to see screenshots, you can go here. Each picture has a detailed description for each step in signing up, so click on the first picture.

Also on Monday I finished printing out everything I needed for the interview. I only have one or two things left, but I'm waiting till I get closer to the interview date to print them out. Once everything's done, I'll take a picture of my very huge (and heavy) folder.

As well, Ben finally got his tax refund last Friday, and on Monday he requested a 2010 tax transcript from the IRS. Apparently they have a form you can fill out online now instead of calling in (found here). I'm hoping he gets the transcript before the interview, so I can bring that and hand it in instead of the 1040 and W2s. It said it takes 5-10 days (although Ben doesn't know if that was total days or just business days) and there's currently only 12 and a half days left till my interview. I'm sure it will arrive before then!

~Lindsay

16 comments:

  1. hi, thanks for all the information, do you know how long it takes post-interview to get your visa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Canada, it's currently taking on average 6 days. I have a spreadsheet tracking Canadians on VJ with an interview in Montreal. The fastest I've seen is 2 days, the longest 19 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this, it's very helpful!
    Looking forward to do it, waiting for NVC to review our case.
    Sarai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Sarai! Does Mexico have this website as well? Thought it was only for Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes they have it, also you have to make an appoinment to get your biometrics and give your pictures before you get your interview... that I can do in Mexico city, though I don't know if once approved I can get my VISA at a nearby DHL courier or it's only in Ciudad Juarez that I can get it, I hope not... we're leaving the kids with my parents, but I can't take way too long... I'll miss them so much and my mom will go nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cool. Then the screenshots do help you (and other Mexicans).

    Oh wow, you do biometrics and give the pictures ahead of time? Interesting. Weird Mexico does that.

    I went on the Mexican version of the site, and under courier information, they have a whole list of DHL branches you can choose from, so it would seem it's not only Cuidad Juarez to pick up, but you can choose one closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope so, on the instructions says to choose the one you like and on a checklist it ways to choose one of two in Cd. Juarez... I guess I'll know when I sign in... hope I can pick the one that is only 20 min. away from us.

    I think you get your biometrics and pictures done to make things faster... at least that's what it says

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you can choose the one that's 20 minutes. It would make more sense for them to let you choose any DHL branch location in Mexico, not just the two in Cd. Juarez.

    Perhaps it does make things faster by getting them done ahead of time; I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took right about 10 business days for my tax transcripts. You might get them in time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's excellent news! I know the first time my husband ordered 2007-2009 ones back in August, they took less than 2 weeks if I remember correctly. It's already been 3 business days since he ordered and there's still 7 business days left. It should arrive just on time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I wanna know if the 1040 & W2 are enough for the interview OR I do need to bring that tax transcripts from the IRS ?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope, as long as you have both the 1040 and W2s, then that's fine. They just prefer tax transcripts, but they'll definitely accept the 1040 and W2s. Is there a reason why you can't get the tax transcript?

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, it is just one more thing to do you know ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you SO SO SO SO SO much for this! I was having a panic attack and this helped me so much! Lindsay- you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad it helped you so much! :)

    If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help!

    ReplyDelete