Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Removing conditions explained

*Reference link to abbreviations/terms post*

Before I begin, I'd just like to say I received my police certificate in the mail this morning! Clean record :) I thought the certificate would be bigger but it's tiny. Maybe half the size of regular printer paper. And it's yellow! I wasn't expecting it till later this week, but it came early. Now I have all the papers I need for the DS-230.

Anyways, on to the topic of this blog post: removing conditions. Now, since I'll be getting a CR-1 visa, I need to remove conditions within 90 days of the 2 year mark after I go through the POE to the USA. For those that get the IR-1 visa, they don't need to do this since their visa isn't considered "conditional". It's only for those that have been married less than two years. The green card I'll be getting is only good for two years, so I have to apply to remove that and get a 10 year green card. Those that get the IR-1 visa receive a 10 year green card from the start, so removing conditions isn't needed for them.

This step is pretty simple compared to actually getting the visa. The form to fill out is called the I-751. It's really basic. It simply asks for my information (name, date of birth, address, etc, etc). Also asks the same information about my spouse. Nothing too much more than that.

Along with sending the form in, a copy of the front AND back of the permanent resident card (aka green card) is also needed, as well as evidence of our relationship (such as joint leases, joint financial records, joint insurances, affidavits, pictures, etc).

And of course, there's a fee for the form, so a check must be included as well. The total cost will be $590 ($505 for the form and then $85 for the biometrics). Now, the price may change by the time I have to remove conditions, but as of today, those are the current fees.

Later on, I'm going to need to go get my biometrics done (fingerprints, photograph of my face). I'll get a letter in the mail telling me where and when to go to get this done. If it's going to be done at a local USCIS office, I believe the closest one to where I'll be living in South Dakota is all the way in Minneapolis which is a 6 hour drive. I wouldn't mind the road trip, but I'd prefer something closer. I'll just have to wait and see!

An interview may also be done, but it's not done for all removing conditions cases, so I'll just have to wait and see. I doubt it will be as stressful as the interview to actually get the visa.

And that's all. Once you get approved, I'd assume the 10 year green card is then mailed off. I haven't read much into this part of the immigration process. I just know the bare details which I have already mentioned. It doesn't seem to be as hard as the visa part, but it still requires forms to be sent in and such.

~Lindsay

P.S. Ben will be here next Wednesday at midnight! Yay, one more week! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment