Monday, November 22, 2010

Medical explained

*Reference link to abbreviations/term post*

So, after the case is complete at NVC, it's sent off to the embassy (in my case, the one in Montreal). An interview date is later assigned and I'll discuss all about the interview step in another post. Once the interview date is assigned though, a letter is sent out (not sure if it's to the petitioner or beneficiary, or both). In the letter, it describes what's needed for the interview and information on the medical.

Before the interview takes place, a medical examination must be done. And it can't be done by a family doctor. It MUST be performed by an approved panel physician. In Canada, there is a total of 4 approved panel physicians, two of which are in Montreal. Another one is in Ontario, and the last in British Columbia.

One thing that can be done by a family doctor is get the required vaccinations. I followed this website for what vaccinations I will need. The vaccines required are dependent on what age you are, and that website lists the different ones for each age group. Since I am 22, I'll need the following vaccines:

-Combination vaccine for: Tetanus Diphtheria (Td) and Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis (Tdap)
-MMR combination vaccine for: Mumps, Measles, German Measles (Rubella)
-Chickenpox (Varicella)

If I understand my vaccination record and the specific instructions of the required vaccines, I believe I have all the necessary ones. I never received a chickenpox vaccine, but I should be fine since a verbal declaration is accepted. My mother has pictures of when I had chickenpox and I'm requesting her to send them to me and I'll bring them along with me as proof that I did indeed have the chickenpox and do not require the vaccine.

Also, there might be another required vaccine for influenza, but it's only needed if the interview takes place during the flu season. On the website I found the required vaccines for my age group, it states only people aged 50 and over need this during flu season, but I've seen people on the VJ forums that aren't 50 require it as well. I'll inquire about it once I get closer to my medical/interview stage.

For the medical examination, the beneficiary needs to bring: the interview letter, passport, 3 passport pictures, immunization information (such as a vaccination record), and money to pay for the exam. The actual medical exam will consist of a medical history review, physical examination, a chest X-ray, and a blood test for syphilis.

The cost of the medical will vary by country and which panel physician you go to. For the two in Montreal, it will vary from $200-300 and will cost more if vaccines are required. I know for one of the panel physicians, credit credit cards or Interac is not accepted, so the only methods they accept of payment would be cash, certified cheque, or money order. I better not get robbed on the way to the medical!

After the medical is done, the results can be picked up a few days to a week later and must be brought to the interview.

This is probably one of the parts of this whole visa thing I'm not looking forward to at all. I have a great fear of needles and I'm praying that I have all the required vaccinations. The only thing I know for certain is that I will have to have a blood test done. I've never had one done before and I'm not looking forward to it at all. There better be someone there to hold my hand cause I'm going to need to squeeze something.

~Lindsay

P.S. Less than 3 days till Ben arrives here!

No comments:

Post a Comment